Sunday, September 2, 2012

Kayak Trip #50 Upper Chain O' Lakes, 8-31-12

On this beautiful Friday evening, we headed out for a peaceful paddle on Waupaca's Upper Chain O' Lakes. Putting in at Knight's Landing, we headed through Manomin Lake to Pope Lake where we scared up some ducks. Paddling down the creek to Marl Lake, I was reminded of our moonlight cruise where the lightning bugs lit up the way like so many sparkly Christmas lights. If it hadn't been for the pesky mosquitoes after dark, we might have done it again under the full "blue moon" this evening, but I would rather not be chewed alive, especially with the threat of West Nile Virus!

Boaters on Manomin Lake



Kayaking the Upper Chain O' Lakes

Marl Lake

Red Sumac on Marl Lake

We paddled back under the bridge at Knight Road and into Knight Lake where we were met by three very large sandhill cranes. 


I was able to approach them closely without them taking flight. After awhile, I even got them to sing with me! (And don't miss the crane blowing bubbles in the water toward the end of the video! So fun!)


We paddled into Lake Orlando just as the sun was going down and decided to hang around for a few minutes to watch it. Talk about beautiful! This is likely the best sunset I've ever photographed!

Gorgeous!

I submitted this photo to NBC26 facebook friend, weatherman Cameron Moreland who featured it on the news!


When I got home, I got a neat photo of the "Blue Moon." (Ok, so it was digitally tinted, but still cool!)


A perfect end to a perfect evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment