Friday, July 13, 2012

Kayak Trip #40 Waupaca River, Hwy 22/54 to Harrington Road - 7/13/12

It was a steamy night with a few much-needed raindrops mixed in. We got in the river about 6:20 p.m. and enjoyed a leisurely paddle down the river getting out just over an hour later. The mist was rising off the water in several areas as the humidity rose in the air. The horseflies were a bit pesky starting out, but left us alone later. Saw lots of birds, and heard critters of some sort splashing into the water. I suspect they were either turtles or bullfrogs as they made a loud splash. At one point, a large tree branch came crashing into the river. Thankful we weren't under it! The highlight of tonight's trip was seeing a BALD EAGLE high in a dead tree. I was able to pull my kayak up to the opposite shore to steady it a bit as I zoomed in on it with my camera. It's times like this that I wish I had my good camera with 16x zoom instead of 4x on this waterproof one, but I'm not willing to risk getting the other one wet. And without this camera, I wouldn't even have a photo. The humidity steamed up my lens a bit, so the photos aren't as sharp as they should be.

The put-in under the bridge. There's a path on the southwest side of the bridge down to the water.

A bald eagle! (Cropped photo, so it's a little pixelated.)


There's room to scoot under the right side of this fallen tree.

Farm bridge with tricky current on the other side. It will spin you around if you're not careful!

A bit steamy out there. My camera lens steamed up, too.

The steep pull-out. Get out on the left side just before the Harrington Rd. bridge.

See Trip #37 as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment